Monday, May 31, 2010

Professional books


Although 7 Keys to Comprehension by Zimmermann/Hutchins and Strategies That Work by Harvey/Goudvis are the bibles for teaching reading comprehension, I have also found many other books that have helped me. When Kids Can't Read What Teachers Can Do by Kylene Beers is an excellent start. This book really helped me understand how to teach inferencing skills to 4/5th graders. Emily Kissner wrote The Forest and the Trees. It focuses on teaching children how to find the main idea. I am currently reading her other book: Summarizing, Paraphrasing and Retelling. Teaching for Deep Comprehension by Linda Dorn is also excellent. Reality Checks by Tony Stead is another one I would recommend. Of course Debbie Miller's books are terrific. They were written for people who teach the primary grades, but I got a lot out of them. I liked Beyond Leveled Books by Szymusiak/Sibberson. Franki Sibberson has a blog you can follow as does Emily Kissner.
I also like Linda Hoyt and Gail Tomkins. Linda Hoyt's Revisit, Reflect, Retell has a great DVD, so does Linda Dorn's book, Teaching For Deep Comprehension. I'll add more books to this list as I come across them.
Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment