Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Literacy Bags

My summer project was to get some literacy bags up and running for my 4th graders.My purpose is to build background knowledge on various topics through a home/school connection. My mother stitched the names on these bags I found at the Dollar Store. Filling the bags was the fun part. We made 24 in all. I got the idea online. http://teacherweb.com/SC/bells/madden/ap2.stm this website inspired me to try the idea with older kids. I tried to put a variety of materials in each bag: puzzles, stamps, games, fiction, nonfiction, read alouds, art projects and more. I'm so happy with the way they turned out! Christine

2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of literacy bags for fourth graders! Does each student take home one bag each week? How have they worked out so far? Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily,
    School starts on Wed. I was planning on introducing my literacy bags at Open House in a few weeks. I will send an update blog as to how it goes. Its something I've wanted to try for a long time. I love your books. I have done some of your lessons and posted them on my blog. Your Slideshares are great as well. Thanks for sharing so much with other teachers. Christine

    ReplyDelete