Saturday, July 2, 2011

Mentor texts: persuade me!

I'm always on the lookout for great books to use with upper elementary age  kids to teach the art of persuasive writing. The Best Town in the World by Byrd Baylor is a special book. After reading it, we listed the techniques Baylor used to persuade us that his town was really a great place to grow up.

I also like Earrings! by Judith Viorst. Maybe I like this book because I could hear my own daughter's voice while I read it aloud, BEGGING her mother for pierced ears in fifth grade. All those great reasons why really make the reader laugh and smile.
Like Earrings!, The Larue series uses humor and human emotions to persuade us to see another point of view. I've written a previous post about these great books by Mark Teague as well as Should Their Be Zoos by Tony Stead. If anyone has other great mentor texts appropriate to use with 4th and 5th graders while learning about persuasive writing, please let me know. Christine

4 comments:

  1. I will have to look for The Best Town in the World and Earrings. I don't have those. I always like Hey Little Ant! by Phillip and Hannah Hoose for a persuasive discussion. I don't think it is too young for 4th and 5th graders.

    Jennifer
    http://3rdgradelearners.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, I love Byrd Baylor and haven't read that book yet -- can't wait, thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great NEW one... A Pig Parade is A Terrible Idea! by Michael Ian Black.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you have not shared "Dear Mrs.LaRue" (all of the books), you are missing out. My students loved the books and it motivated us for writing persuasive. (This was one type of writing on our state tests.) After the tests the kids would tell me that they thought back to these books. Great examples. Are you familiar with "SkippyJon Jones" new books? I wish I was not retired so I could do writing lessons around his adventures.

    ReplyDelete