Sunday, October 21, 2012

ELA Notebooking



Interactive notebooking is really interesting. I learned about it from some different blogs: The Middle School Mouth and A Teacher's Treasure. Here is my Pinterest board with links to the various sites: http://pinterest.com/cjken42/ela-notebooks/ 
The first page of the fiction section  is a reading log



The inside cover of the 4th grade notebook looks like this. You can see the poster that we used as inspiration. Our essential question was: Why do authors write stories?

On another page (this is is the fifth grade notebook) we log in the conflict of the various stories we read. You can see that we make it interactive by placing a picture of the  story on the conflict poster, This stays up all year.

Here is another page in the 5th grade notebook that is also interactive. We log the point of view of each story in our notebooks and on the poster.

I have started to add foldables to our ELA notebooks. Here is one on similes. This is fun but it is also a work on progress. I originally put three tabs in the notebooks: fiction, nonfiction and language. I wasn't sure where I wanted to put similes. It ended up in language. My long term plan is that the students use the notebooks as a resource. We have glued in other pages like these one that lists sample character traits. Whenever they need a trait they could look at this page. Christine

2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of an organized Reading Journal - especially the division between our fiction and non-fiction explorations. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love notebooking! I currently do it in my 4th grade classroom and the students really seem to be more connected to their learning. I love the plate idea for PIE! I will be using that!

    ~Dana
    Live Learn Teach for Life

    ReplyDelete