Thursday, July 29, 2010

Harriet Tubman week

I love to read the story Go Free of Die: The Story of Harriet Tubman to give the children lots of background knowledge about Harriet Tubman and the Underground Railroad. Its an easy fast paced suspenseful read. We usually finish it in 2-3 days. My next stop is Henry's Freedom Box by Ellen Levine. This is another story where a slave escapes but this time he mails himself to freedom in a box. The pictures are just beautiful. I also like to read the picture book Harriet and Sojourner by Catherine Clinton. I have a lesson I will post in the future on comparing and contrasting the two women. I also like to use Nettie's Trip South by Ann Turner. It is the unforgettable story of a young northern girl who travels south right before the Civil War breaks out. She sees a slave auction and it changes her life. The book is written in letters to her friend back home. After reading all of these stories the children have some solid information on what slavery was and how the Underground Railroad worked. The obvious question the kids ask is, "Does slavery still exist today?" I then talk to them about Iqbal Masih, a young Pakistani boy who was sold into slavery by his family at age four. I have them research Iqbal's life. Iqbal is a modern day hero. Children are amazed by his story.  Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment