Thursday, August 5, 2010

companion books

Eve Bunting is one of my favorite authors. I love to read Train To Somewhere with my class. It is the story of an orphan who is sent on an "orphan train" trom NY to the Midwest in hopes of being adopted. The genre is historical fiction. Orphan trains did really exist in the U.S. in the early 1900's. I really enjoy combining fiction and nonfiction related to the same subject. The story Ophan Train Riders is the perfect companion piece. It is the true story of Lee Nailing, a child who travelled on the orphan trains. You feel like you are with Lee as he travels on his journey in hopes of finding a loving family. You can see from my poster the BIG Question that arises: Why were their so many orphans? Great opportunity for further research but the book does give you the reasons in a clear cut way. Christine


No comments:

Post a Comment