Wednesday, February 23, 2011

A Readathon just for fun

Novelty is so important when working with elementary age students. You need that little hook to pull them in. I decided to have a Readathon during our February school break for my 4th and 5th graders. These bookmark timers seemed like just the hook needed to motivate my students to read during vacation. (Our purpose was to have fun while reading/ not raise money).The PTO purchased class sets from http://www.mark-my-time.com/ I gave every child a bookmark timer and a log to write the name of the book, minutes spent reading, and had the parents sign it daily. We built in a few contests: boys against the girls, teams of three (my girls wrote a proposal about how the groups should be formed). I can FEEL them all reading at home right now! Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment