Sunday, June 6, 2010

vocabulary instruction


I love this poster. I teach the children how to show me a 1-5 when we introduce new vocabulary for the week. The first step in learning new vocabulary is realizing you don't know what the word means to begin with. Its a great formative assessment. You can look around the room and quickly figure out where they stand with a particular word. After they reflect on whether they know the meaning of the word I tell them to read the definition in the glossary of our anthology. Often a child will figure out that they new another meaning of the word.
When we come across a difficult word when reading together I frequently ask the children to give me a 1-5 on that word. Then I have them look for the context clues that help us to decipher meaning.Its a great tool for me and its easy and fun for them.
Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment