Saturday, April 2, 2011

Bud, Not Buddy

How does an author get us hooked on a book? Questions! After reading the first chapter of Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis we brainstormed questions we had. We discussed how the author embedded certain details in chapter one that would activate our questioning strategy. Authors do this to push us forward, to entice us to keep reading.
I like to use this worksheet to record questions on.  The student has to think about whether or not the questions were answered in the text...and does it matter to them as the reader. Christine

3 comments:

  1. This is my favorite book!!! I have a picture of Curtis and I at a breakfast that I put on the inside cover of my teacher copy. This book is a sure fire hook at the beginning of any school year!!

    Julie
    Thoughts of a Third Grade Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie,
    Have you read his other books? I also like Watsons go to Birmingham. Christine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the chart! This book works so well for questioning...

    ReplyDelete